Thursday, January 21, 2010

Hating on Pinktoes or Demanding Respect? The Reggie Bush/Essence Dilemma



Beyonce, Monique, Gabriel Union, Michele Obama, Nia Long, Queen Latifah, Jada Pickett Smith, Mary J. Blige, and Jennifer Hudson. Some of the names that come to mind when I think of previous Essence Magazines.


You don’t know how many times I had to hear Citizen Wifey complain about seeing the same people on the cover. So I was shocked when I saw Reggie Bush on February’s cover. It was their Black Men, Love and Relationships Issue. Ooops!!! “Houston we have a problem!!” NFL Running Back Reggie Bush on the cover of a magazine for Black Women????


Apparently many black women had a problem with him being on the cover. The last few weeks the black blogosphere has been on fire about the subject. Black female bloggers were pissed that Essence would put a man on the cover that doesn’t even date black women. I don’t keep up with his women but I did happen to see him with Kim Kardashian. Kim – she of the Armenian Kardashian Clan. Sure she can pass for white and has a monster booty but what else makes her desirable? That’s what black women were asking when the magazine came out. They wanted to know why a guy that chases after “other” women is reppin for the sistas!!!


I have been trying to figure out what to say about this subject but I can’t come up with anything. I will let my fellow female bloggers speak for themselves but it appears that Obama’s Post Racial America is still a myth. You know that women are pissed, when they are bad mouthing a half naked black millionaire on the cover of a magazine (you too Tiger Woods – I know you don’t think so but you’re black!!!). It’s obvious that black women are still pissed when they see a black man with a white woman. The only thing I can say is that I’m married to a sista (so I won’t catch HELL like Reggie Bush). But I do have a question? What are the qualifications for being on a magazine geared towards Black Folks?

No comments:

Post a Comment