Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Another Ripoff Design

Via Email:

Hey, Home Watch!

I was really happy to see that you posted pictures showing Home's blatant rip off of the entire outfit worn by Julia Roberts in 'Pretty Woman'. But I wanted to share another blatant rip off with you, from the exact same update!
I've included a picture showing the original and Home's copy. This time, it was the Paris Modern Outfit. It's not quite as direct as the Pretty Woman gown, but it's still pretty freaking close!
The original is a Chanel blazer worn by Anne Hathaway in 'The Devil Wears Prada'. I can't claim credit for first recognizing this - I was told about it by [name removed], but I don't know where [name removed] heard about it for sure. So I wish I could give credit where credit's due, but alas, I have no clue! All I can claim credit for is taking the picture of the outfit on my avatar and comparing it to the original.
So anyway, as you can see, it's pretty dang close to the Chanel blazer. The only differences I notice are the original is double-breasted, while the Home version is single. But that could merely be a matter of how wide the avatars are and that double-breasted jackets don't tend to fit the avatar's body as well. And the shape of the pocket is slightly different. But you know what? It's still the same jacket. Same cut, same color, same trim, same crest, all in the same spots. They even included the same chemise blouse beneath the jacket that Anne Hathaway wore in the movie. The skirt's obviously different, but they even included the thigh-high black boots.
Don't these people realize that it's a crime to make - and SELL - such blatant rip offs? I'm sure Chanel would love to know that Sony's making money off a copy of their design.

What makes this all the more insulting, is that the Home community has been showing far more originality and style than these ridiculous people who have to copy from movies in order to come up with anything halfway decent! Come on, Sony, is that really the best you can do? Hire people who sit around and watch movies to get their ideas? Please, that's pathetic. If it's a tribute, that's one thing, but this is just a freaking knock off!

I also wanted to note, you might want to add to your Pretty Woman post that the red gown in question was designed by the movie's costume designer, Marilyn Vance. I've just done some extensive research on it to make certain, and yup, that design's hers. Also, it's worth noting that neither 'Pretty Woman' nor 'The Devil Wears Prada' are products of Sony Pictures. Although with the case of the Chanel jacket, that wouldn't matter even if it was Sony's film, since movies can feature clothing from other designers, but that doesn't mean the studios own the original designs. Case in point, all the old classic Paramount films starring Audrey Hepburn. Audrey Hepburn had a thing for Givenchy and regularly wore custom-made Givenchy gowns. They may have appeared in Paramounts' films, but the gowns still belong to Givenchy. (Yeah, I'm a fashionista, what can I say?)
So yeah, I'm betting Chanel would just love to know cheap digital knock offs of their couture clothing are being sold by Sony in Home. I might just have to send them a letter...

Thanks!

- HeatherShow

P.s. Feel free to post my name. I'm not afraid of Sony anymore. Do what they will, it'll only make things worse for them if they continue to bully around their customers. Especially this customer. I've had it.
Awesome, thanks for the heads up!

No comments:

Post a Comment