Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Rihanna using nudity as therapy or is she covering up the pain?




I was looking at the latest issue of GQ Magazine and was having a hard time figuring out who was on the cover. At first I thought it was another white woman attempting to hitch a ride on the Tiger Woods train. But then I realized that it was a pale-ish looking Rihanna. I didn’t know she was that light (keeping the black under wraps maybe)? Better yet, I didn’t know she was that naked?


I have been trying to understand Rihanna since the day Chris Brown used her as a punching bag. I didn’t understand when after the beating she was seen with Brown at the beach. I didn’t understand when naked photos (that she took of herself) of her came out a few weeks later. And now she’s on the cover of GQ Half Naked? Is this publicity for her album or is this how she really is? Is she supposed to be a role model for young girls? I don’t want to give her that title if it’s not something that she advocated for. But it seems that I see a lot of young girls listening to her music. Maybe the parents of those kids don’t mind her song content. Songs that talk about “getting her hair pulled” while having sex.


It’s not my place to determine how a person should act after they suffered abuse. But I personally find Rihanna’s behavior odd. Her recent actions are negating the seriousness of what happened between her and Chris Brown. You just can’t tell whether or not she understands what truly took place. Is she even bothered by what happened? I’m against abuse against women so it bothers me to ask the questions. But something isn’t right!!


I believe Rihanna’s handlers have done her a disservice. Instead of getting her counseling, they have decided to continue with “BUSINESS” as usual. Her handlers have her selling records, performing concerts, and doing interviews. Interviews that have her looking and sounding like a child. Her handlers may think that everything is back to normal but her actions tell a different story. Rihanna is in the public eye and she still suffers in private. Just like so many other young women her age that suffer from physical abuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment