Sunday, May 17, 2009

Anna Wintour: Sunglasses Are My Armor

Anna Wintour revealed to Morley Safer on 60 Minutes that sunglasses are her armor. She says if she is wearing sunglasses then she can sit bored at a show and nobody will notice.

Wintour - who is the editor of US style bible Vogue - gets invited to numerous fashion shows for her job, so uses the glasses to hide her true feelings when she is unimpressed at what is being presented.

Safer and 60 Minutes cameras followed Wintour to the spring fashion shows in Milan, Paris and New York, where the sunglasses are especially handy she says. "They're seriously useful...I can sit in a show and if I'm bored out of my mind, nobody will notice," says Wintour. "And if I 'm enjoying it, nobody will notice….At this point they've become...really, armor."

But getting noticed is also part of who she is and what it means to be in command at Vogue magazine, the bible of high fashion, which provides her a yearly stipend for clothing rumored to be in the six figures. "It's very important to me to look good when I go out publicly. I like looking at my clothes rack in the morning and deciding what to pick out," she tells Safer. I enjoy fashion, Morley, I mean, I wouldn't be in this job if I didn't."

Wintour is not the only celebrity to hide behind her sunglasses.

Victoria Beckham is rarely seen without her huge designer glasses and has previously explained she feels better wearing them as people can see less of her face.

She has said: "I'm not over confident and feel better if I hide behind my glasses and wear a cap as that means there is less of me for people to judge."

Tom Cruise and Katie Holmes are often pictured in their shades and regularly wear them on the red carpet as well as during nights out.

More Hot Stories:
Norma McCorvey: Jane Roe Arrested??
jon and kate split??

No comments:

Post a Comment