Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Passing of Gifted Unlimited Rhymes Universal

Keith Elam (aka Guru) died Monday night, after falling into a cancer related coma last month. Guru was known for being ½ of the iconic Hip Hop duo Gang Starr. Gang Starr consisted of Guru rhyming over DJ Premier Beats (classic beats!!). He was also an accomplished solo artist. As a solo artist, he was known for blending hip hop and jazz on the Jazzmatazz Albums. Guru was 43 years old.


Keith Elam, thanks for my personal memories -

The Moment of Truth
Hard to Earn
Daily Operation
Step in the Arena
Full Clip: A Decade of Gang Starr
Jazzmatazz vol. 1 and 2


I remember pre-Freshmen summer orientation at my undergrad. My homeboy was playing “Dwyck” the whole time. He had the “Horny Horn” Remix that you rarely hear people play. That song was a classic. In my humble opinion, Guru had the best verse out of all the MC’s on that song. They don’t make Hip Hop like they use to. If I drank, I would pour out some liquor for this dude. I don’t so instead I’ll poor out some Gatorade.

No comments:

Post a Comment