Friday, December 17, 2010

SEPET

I seldom talked about this with other people because I don't want to come across as being racist but I think it's an interesting issue to blog about.


Whenever I met new people they always thought that I am Chinese because of my physical appearance, but the truth is I'm 100% not Chinese (although if you do some phylogenetic test or something it might be possible). I don't have problem with being mistaken as Chinese but the problem is the communication part. You see, they assumed that I speak Chinese so the next thing that happened is .... huh, awkward !!! These happened every single time, if I met a new Chinese person for the first time and he doesn't talk to me in Chinese that will make me happy.

That's not all, there's this incident in the airport where I was held by customs and were asked to used the green lane so they can check my luggage because they assumed that I'm a tourist from Macau.

Here's one more, when I was doing my internship in a local institute, one of the staff there talk to me in English because she assumed that I'm a Myanmar student, which at first I thought was kinda normal and I only found that out when she asked me about the education system in Myanmar.


The list goes on and on, and one time people thought me as "Mamat Siam" (Thailand Guy, suddenly Ong Bak comes across my mind).

I'm not gonna change my appearance though so I think maybe I should take Language class and learned a bit about all those language people thought I understand.

Sayonara

P/S: I'm not racist, just a fan Asian Celebrities

No comments:

Post a Comment