bousozoku
Jul 11, 01:19 AM
Apple never intended for iWork to compete with MS Office. Apple merely wanted to fill a niche for those AppleWorks users who didn't need a full blown behemoth Office Suite like MS Office.
It is only the die-hard Apple users that detest MS Office who are suggesting that iWork is a replacement for MS Office.
I have been using Pages and Keynote since Day One. Pages One was almost worthless in my book. Apple should have given away Pages v2 to those who suffered through version 1. Keynote was interesting and useful from version one but still lags significantly behind PowerPoint.
Both Pages 2 and Keynote now make a nice little package at $79.00 for those users who don't need to work in an MS Office environment and don't need all of the revision, collaboration, and integration tools of MS Office.
But come on, let's get real. iWork doesn't really come close to what is offered by a professional business suite like MS Office. It's like saying, Photshop Elements is a replacement for Creative Suite 2.:eek:
Photoshop Elements 4.0 is a capable replacement for Photoshop CS2 for a lot of people, even professionals. It depends on what you're doing with it.
I've used various word processors since writing my own in the early 1980s and MS Word 4.0 was quite nice but Microsoft kept adding so many features that it's become haphazard and troublesome. It is counter-productive for a lot of people, especially when you have to revise previous documents.
Pages 2 is a useful release but it's not final. To discount it or iWork totally is not reasonable.
It is only the die-hard Apple users that detest MS Office who are suggesting that iWork is a replacement for MS Office.
I have been using Pages and Keynote since Day One. Pages One was almost worthless in my book. Apple should have given away Pages v2 to those who suffered through version 1. Keynote was interesting and useful from version one but still lags significantly behind PowerPoint.
Both Pages 2 and Keynote now make a nice little package at $79.00 for those users who don't need to work in an MS Office environment and don't need all of the revision, collaboration, and integration tools of MS Office.
But come on, let's get real. iWork doesn't really come close to what is offered by a professional business suite like MS Office. It's like saying, Photshop Elements is a replacement for Creative Suite 2.:eek:
Photoshop Elements 4.0 is a capable replacement for Photoshop CS2 for a lot of people, even professionals. It depends on what you're doing with it.
I've used various word processors since writing my own in the early 1980s and MS Word 4.0 was quite nice but Microsoft kept adding so many features that it's become haphazard and troublesome. It is counter-productive for a lot of people, especially when you have to revise previous documents.
Pages 2 is a useful release but it's not final. To discount it or iWork totally is not reasonable.
infernohellion
Apr 16, 11:37 PM
I have a really strange problem changing the background wallpaper. Every time my computer goes to sleep the old background will be back again. However, this can be solved with a simple Shut Down before going to sleep.
nies
Apr 28, 08:03 PM
I'm not a she
BillyBobBongo
Apr 13, 02:12 PM
Yet another ridiculous speculation by unqualified experts who need real jobs.
Tony
Tony here, he knows the story! *thumbsup*
Tony
Tony here, he knows the story! *thumbsup*
more...
bdkennedy1
Mar 31, 01:56 PM
If you want functionality, then go use Windows. Most Mac users are designers and the look of something is just as important as functionality. Steve Jobs may love the look of his day planner, that doesn't mean I have to be stuck with it.
Personally? I find it humorous that so many people on here refuse to use the app, or have big issues with it, all because of the faux leather look to the top bar, or other attempts to make the app look like its physical counterpart. If the app has the FUNCTIONALITY you need, that's what makes it good! I've come to expect that Apple will regularly revise the LOOK of these applications. Even if they had a look that 99.9% of users agreed was "perfect"? They'd revise it with the next major release of the app or OS, simply because they know people don't feel like they really "got enough for their money" if it doesn't look different at a quick glance....
The way it defaults to entering new appointments with that "unnamed appointment" heading drives me nuts too. Accidental taps on the iPhone or iPad can lead to those things being added to your schedule, and if you don't notice it until later? You're left wondering if it's supposed be a real appointment for something, or if it was just a screw-up. They should make it so if you don't actually fill something in, it cancels adding it.
Another feature I'd like to see? It needs a way to easily open up a list of your contacts from the Address Book inside a pane in iCal itself, and drag one over to the calendar to add an appointment with their address inserted as the "location", and name plus maybe phone number(s) in the title. Like many people, I use iCal to track appointments I have with clients, so this info usually needs to go into them.
I saw where someone wrote a fancy Applescript to accomplish this, but IMHO, that's still a "hack" for functionality Apple could/should include!
Personally? I find it humorous that so many people on here refuse to use the app, or have big issues with it, all because of the faux leather look to the top bar, or other attempts to make the app look like its physical counterpart. If the app has the FUNCTIONALITY you need, that's what makes it good! I've come to expect that Apple will regularly revise the LOOK of these applications. Even if they had a look that 99.9% of users agreed was "perfect"? They'd revise it with the next major release of the app or OS, simply because they know people don't feel like they really "got enough for their money" if it doesn't look different at a quick glance....
The way it defaults to entering new appointments with that "unnamed appointment" heading drives me nuts too. Accidental taps on the iPhone or iPad can lead to those things being added to your schedule, and if you don't notice it until later? You're left wondering if it's supposed be a real appointment for something, or if it was just a screw-up. They should make it so if you don't actually fill something in, it cancels adding it.
Another feature I'd like to see? It needs a way to easily open up a list of your contacts from the Address Book inside a pane in iCal itself, and drag one over to the calendar to add an appointment with their address inserted as the "location", and name plus maybe phone number(s) in the title. Like many people, I use iCal to track appointments I have with clients, so this info usually needs to go into them.
I saw where someone wrote a fancy Applescript to accomplish this, but IMHO, that's still a "hack" for functionality Apple could/should include!
trainguy77
Nov 23, 07:59 PM
I'm using the default Folding@home client from standford's site. FahMon and F@H WUdget report the core as Gromacs SMP, and it is using both cores. I noticed with activity monitor that it has spawned 4 threads each using around 45-50% CPU which is a bit odd as it is only a dual core machine with no HT. The PPD is at around 1080 and it is going at 1.66x minimum speed. What do you think?
That seems about right for a 2 core system.
As for the 4 process I think thats because the code was written to be used on 4 cores. This is how it should run on 2 cores. Unless they changed it since back when I first was folding. I have lost touch with the current stuff. :p
That seems about right for a 2 core system.
As for the 4 process I think thats because the code was written to be used on 4 cores. This is how it should run on 2 cores. Unless they changed it since back when I first was folding. I have lost touch with the current stuff. :p
more...
robeddie
Apr 19, 08:03 AM
But my point is that even if we get a 40% boost in our CPU, it is near useless.
For example, lets say you have 100/100 in a test. Having a theoretical 40% boost will give you a 140/100. I mean, thats cool. Overkill. That is currently the CPU we have. We have enough to accomplish our tasks, and any more would be an overkill in the things we need our computer to process.
On the other hand, on the GPU side, you have a 80/100 (which is what the NVIDIA 320m is) and we see a 30% performance drop, that will result to a 42.5/100. At lower levels, difference between a 80/100 and 42.5/100 is the difference between a pass and a fail.
Of course, having a better CPU might be fulfilling to you and might give you the sense that you are the "latest in tech," but seriously, it is not about the CPU any more, it is about SSDs, ergonomics, GPU, and ultimately, Software.
+1
I agree. I think the 'gain' in processor speed will be hard to notice. But for many of us, the 'drop' in gpu performance (which is already marginal with the 320m) will be deadly.
For example, lets say you have 100/100 in a test. Having a theoretical 40% boost will give you a 140/100. I mean, thats cool. Overkill. That is currently the CPU we have. We have enough to accomplish our tasks, and any more would be an overkill in the things we need our computer to process.
On the other hand, on the GPU side, you have a 80/100 (which is what the NVIDIA 320m is) and we see a 30% performance drop, that will result to a 42.5/100. At lower levels, difference between a 80/100 and 42.5/100 is the difference between a pass and a fail.
Of course, having a better CPU might be fulfilling to you and might give you the sense that you are the "latest in tech," but seriously, it is not about the CPU any more, it is about SSDs, ergonomics, GPU, and ultimately, Software.
+1
I agree. I think the 'gain' in processor speed will be hard to notice. But for many of us, the 'drop' in gpu performance (which is already marginal with the 320m) will be deadly.
%252525252B(In%252525252BHindi).jpg)
trainguy77
Nov 23, 07:59 PM
I'm using the default Folding@home client from standford's site. FahMon and F@H WUdget report the core as Gromacs SMP, and it is using both cores. I noticed with activity monitor that it has spawned 4 threads each using around 45-50% CPU which is a bit odd as it is only a dual core machine with no HT. The PPD is at around 1080 and it is going at 1.66x minimum speed. What do you think?
That seems about right for a 2 core system.
As for the 4 process I think thats because the code was written to be used on 4 cores. This is how it should run on 2 cores. Unless they changed it since back when I first was folding. I have lost touch with the current stuff. :p
That seems about right for a 2 core system.
As for the 4 process I think thats because the code was written to be used on 4 cores. This is how it should run on 2 cores. Unless they changed it since back when I first was folding. I have lost touch with the current stuff. :p
more...
Legion93
May 1, 10:03 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-13256676
Osama Bin Laden has been reported dead by US military officials.
US president Obama is to make an unofficial statement in a few minutes.
Osama Bin Laden has been reported dead by US military officials.
US president Obama is to make an unofficial statement in a few minutes.
celticpride678
Apr 15, 08:51 PM
Hmmm. Can't get iPad updated, says that not compatible with the build.
Nice. :confused:
Too tired to even troubleshoot longer.
But for anyone who wants to give me a tip.
I restarted both iPad and iMac.
Deleted and Re downloaded ipsw
Hard reset iPad
No dice. Never JB btw.
Is iTunes up-to-date?
Nice. :confused:
Too tired to even troubleshoot longer.
But for anyone who wants to give me a tip.
I restarted both iPad and iMac.
Deleted and Re downloaded ipsw
Hard reset iPad
No dice. Never JB btw.
Is iTunes up-to-date?
more...
Popeye206
Apr 13, 09:21 PM
It could be a bad mod job, I doubt some random AT&T employee got a hold of an actual White iPhone 4.
Agreed... if it's not announced, it's not in the wild. Probably one of those conversion jobs... someone was selling a white conversion kit for $200.
Agreed... if it's not announced, it's not in the wild. Probably one of those conversion jobs... someone was selling a white conversion kit for $200.
IJ Reilly
Jul 12, 10:20 AM
How about a two-column landscape layout? You'll need to set the margins, columns and the gutters properly, but after that, you should be good to go. (Then you can save it as a template for next time.)
more...

ThomasJefferson
Jul 29, 07:16 PM
Zune?
As in, this is something that does not Zoom, its Zunes?
Could still be fun to watch tho ...
Just how uncool can M$ make music?
As in, this is something that does not Zoom, its Zunes?
Could still be fun to watch tho ...
Just how uncool can M$ make music?
Benjy91
Sep 15, 07:26 AM
http://img.game.co.uk/images/content/SpecialEditions/HaloReachConsole3.jpg
Im such a geek haha.
Im such a geek haha.
more...
twoodcc
Nov 3, 08:03 PM
We got them!
Well, we may pass each other back and forth a few times before we can really pull away...
Next target: 2.3 weeks away! Keep Folding!
And a little pat in the back as I just took the #8 spot on the team. Watch out this week #7! After it gets more tricky and WhiteRabbit is coming behind faaaaast...
looks like we're ahead now i think
That dang i7 is going back to normal units until I can figure out why it is so sloooooow... like a tortise...
how slow?
i engaged an octo late last week, will set up another tomorrow. they both run 24/7.
the graphic designers using them rarely require more than 1 core anyway :)
alright! nice! let us know how they are doing, and run the bigadv units if you can
Well, we may pass each other back and forth a few times before we can really pull away...
Next target: 2.3 weeks away! Keep Folding!
And a little pat in the back as I just took the #8 spot on the team. Watch out this week #7! After it gets more tricky and WhiteRabbit is coming behind faaaaast...
looks like we're ahead now i think
That dang i7 is going back to normal units until I can figure out why it is so sloooooow... like a tortise...
how slow?
i engaged an octo late last week, will set up another tomorrow. they both run 24/7.
the graphic designers using them rarely require more than 1 core anyway :)
alright! nice! let us know how they are doing, and run the bigadv units if you can
leekohler
Nov 8, 10:27 AM
I won't get it but:
more...
dethmaShine
Mar 31, 01:39 PM
That wood look needs to go. iBooks in iOS is hideous. I am disappointed that it's making it in to OS X.
What if Apple gives a choice b/w 2-3 gradients?
What if Apple gives a choice b/w 2-3 gradients?
blissmonkey
Apr 12, 03:09 PM
Exactly in the same boat except my 3G has a shattered screen with bits of glass that has fallen off. It has gone through hell and back but, I decided to wait since June is only a short wait away. Now, supposedly its been pushed back to september and I am planning on getting a new phone in either june or july since I will have some extra cash and can move to verizon on a family plan. I dont want to get the 4 when the new one is right around the corner. So, this pushing back to september means I'll probably move to the Droid. Hopefully the announcement is still in june and these rumors are just to throw us off since the last iPhone announcement wasnt very exciting since we all knew what was coming.
silentnite
May 3, 07:57 AM
This is an imac worth buying, finally a quad core at an excellent price. To bad I'm not in need of a new computer:)
mc68k
Nov 24, 07:40 PM
Good, maybe we can get back ahead of club lexus, again. Then again that means I might not catch up to you in a year...
haha here's hoping ;)
yeah team lexus should be in the rearview mirror soon
haha here's hoping ;)
yeah team lexus should be in the rearview mirror soon
Crosbie
Apr 14, 02:19 PM
The link in this thread still causes me problems:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12349432
Though now Safari crashes a short time after showing the white box problem.
Anyone else able to test the YouTube link in this thread?
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=12349432
Though now Safari crashes a short time after showing the white box problem.
Anyone else able to test the YouTube link in this thread?
rorschach
Apr 14, 03:30 PM
Open a stock app, like Messages or Photos.
Watch the animation, look at how the icons fly off to the edges of the screen and the app you pressed zooms forward from the centre of the screen and into full screen view. That, is the animation for launching an app.
Now try it on, for example, Infinity Blade, Engadget, TUAW, Dead Space, Final Fantasy 3 (basically 99.9% of third party apps). Notice that when you press the app icon, it dulls as normal, but then the app immediately appears on screen. No home screen icons zooming off to the edges of the screen, no app you are loading zooming forward from the centre of the screen to fill the entire viewable area.
Only once the app has been loaded, and is in the memory, can you open/close the app and get the animation as normal.
No doubt you'll say you don't have that on your phone, but there you go.
You're not alone. This happens for me too, including with this update. Even after a reboot. It didn't do it with any of the 4.0.x releases either. It started with 4.2 I think. Tap an app icon, freezes for a second, then the app appears with no animation. Or a very choppy animation.
I've tried both rebooting and restoring (as a new phone). I had less than a gigabyte free so I tried freeing up some space thinking that might help and even with ~2GB free it still does it.
Watch the animation, look at how the icons fly off to the edges of the screen and the app you pressed zooms forward from the centre of the screen and into full screen view. That, is the animation for launching an app.
Now try it on, for example, Infinity Blade, Engadget, TUAW, Dead Space, Final Fantasy 3 (basically 99.9% of third party apps). Notice that when you press the app icon, it dulls as normal, but then the app immediately appears on screen. No home screen icons zooming off to the edges of the screen, no app you are loading zooming forward from the centre of the screen to fill the entire viewable area.
Only once the app has been loaded, and is in the memory, can you open/close the app and get the animation as normal.
No doubt you'll say you don't have that on your phone, but there you go.
You're not alone. This happens for me too, including with this update. Even after a reboot. It didn't do it with any of the 4.0.x releases either. It started with 4.2 I think. Tap an app icon, freezes for a second, then the app appears with no animation. Or a very choppy animation.
I've tried both rebooting and restoring (as a new phone). I had less than a gigabyte free so I tried freeing up some space thinking that might help and even with ~2GB free it still does it.
MacinDoc
Apr 13, 06:35 PM
what are they gonna call it? Apple tv?
rofl
rofl
Evangelion
Jul 12, 02:46 PM
I see where you are getting at but who would want to use an ipod for video conferencing when the business user which it is aimed at rather use a phone like the Razr V3x, a pda or that new 4.5in Sony tablet pc.
What makes you think that it's aimed at "business users"? Seriously? Is VOIP and/or video-conferencing solely meant for just businesses? Mere mortals need to stay away from it?
I guess we can forget that "video-conferencing for the rest of us" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/) then?
What makes you think that it's aimed at "business users"? Seriously? Is VOIP and/or video-conferencing solely meant for just businesses? Mere mortals need to stay away from it?
I guess we can forget that "video-conferencing for the rest of us" (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/ichat/) then?
No comments:
Post a Comment